Monday, December 22, 2008

I Love You and Buddha Too!

Today I broke my uposatha precepts (no adornments or entertainment) to turn you on to a great song and musician. Here are two versions of I Love You and Buddha Too by Mason Jennings. In the great tradition of Sufi or Sant poetry, the songs on Jennings' new album In the Ever "can be interpreted [as being] about an individual or the longing for God..." (masonjennings.com)

Oh Jesus I love you
And I love Buddha too
Ramakrishna, Guru Dev
Tao Te Ching and Mohammed
Why do some people say
That there is just one way
To love you God and come to you
We are all a part of you
You are un-nameable
You are unknowable
All we have is metaphor
That’s what time and space are for
Is the universe your thought
You are and you are not
You are many, You are one
Ever ending, Just begun
Alright, alright, alright
I love you and Buddha too

First up is Jack Johnson's short accoustic version.



And here is Jennings himself live in concert. Listen for the new verse. Learn it and sing along!

No comments:

Post a Comment